HISTORY

Casa das Torres de Oliveira exemplifies the memory and history of Portugal, of erudite architecture, dating back to the 15th Century.
The Comenda de Oliveira, in Terras de Cima Douro (currently Freguesia do Concelho de Mesão frio) was granted as a gracia (official reward) by King Afonso V, to Afonso de Mansilha, a noble lord and native of Galicia, for services rendered to the same King in the Battle of Toro, en 1476.
The seventh grand-daughter of Sir Afonso de Mansilha and of Lady Catarina Rodrigues Borges, Maria Caetana Veloso de Figueiredo Mansilha, heir to the Comenda de Oliveira, married Doctor José António de Sousa e Faria, Lord of the Cota de Armas, Knight of the Order of Christ, disentailed by His Majesty the King, Don João V.
It was Doctor José António de Sousa e Faria, seventh grandfather of the present owners, who ordered the building in 1740 of Casa das Torres de Oliveira, in the same location where for centuries previous, the old Casa of the noble Mansilha family had stood.
In accordance with the fashion of the 18th Century, José António de Sousa e Faria wore silk suits, at the time copiously produced in Trás-os-Montes and the Alto Douro, due to which that region was affectionately ascribed the handle of “Sedinhas”.
A synonym of quality, tradition, history and national pride, the family decided to open the legacy of its land in 1994, to all those willing to value the culture and past accounts of these families, overseers of its immeasurable beauty and tradition.

1476

Comenda de Oliveira, in Terras de Cima Douro (at present Freguesia do Concelho de Mesão frio) was entrusted as a grace and official reward by King Afonso V, to Afonso de Mansilha, noble lord and native of Galicia, for services rendered to the same King in the Battle of Toro, en 1476.

The noble Galician then went to live in his Galician manor house (Pazo) de Oliveira (that of la Quinta), where he was joined in matrimony with the daughter of the Lord Mayor Alcaide de Santarém, Dame Catarina Rodrigues Borges. It was here that the lineage of the Mansilhas and the surname of its descendants began. The seventh grand-daughter of Sir Afonso de Mansilha and Lady Catarina Rodrigues Borges, namely Maria Caetana Veloso de Figueiredo Mansilha, heir to the Comenda de Oliveira, married Doctor José António de Sousa e Faria, member of the Cota de Armas nobility, Knight of the Order of Christ, disentailed by His Majesty King Don João V.

1740

It was Doctor José António de Sousa e Faria, seventh grandfather of the present owners, that ordered the building in 1740, of Casa das Torres de Oliveira, in the same location where for centuries previous, the old Casa manor of the noble Mansilha family had stood.
The location of its erection was the result of a rigorous selection process, which allowed not only for the oversight of a vast agricultural estate, but also the production of Port wine, as well as splendid red and white table wines which are marketed under its own brand, along with the delight of a marvellous landscape, the backdrop of which features the Duero river meandering down towards the sea.
In accordance with the fashion of the 18th Century, José António de Sousa Faria wore silk suits, at the time copiously produced in Trás-os-Montes and the Alto Douro, due to which the region was affectionately ascribed the moniker of “Sedinhas”.

1994

A synonym of quality, tradition, history and national pride, the family decided to open the legacy of its land in 1994, to all of those able to value the culture and past accounts of these families and overseers of this unfathomable beauty and tradition.

1999

Recently restored, the Casa features 6 very comfortable bedrooms and living spaces, a swimming pool and gardens that lend it truly magnificent ambiance.

2015

The Casa’s manor house was selected as the set for the telenovela Coração de Ouro, produced and broadcast by the SIC television network.

DOURO

The Douro received its first demarcation in 1756, at the hand of the Marqués de Pombal, acquiring over the years, a prominent role among the regions.
Considered to be among the most grand and beautiful wine landscapes in the world, the Douro presents itself as a giant amphitheatre of slate soil and vine, as well as one of Portugal’s most prolific wine-producing regions. It is in this scenery shaped by the might of man’s endeavour, that only one of the finest and most fascinating wines in all the land could be born.
The earliest origin-designated region in the world is also a landscape of singular beauty and indisputable historical significance. As a result and deservedly so, it was declared a World Heritage site by Unesco in 2001.
This classified region consists of 13 municipalities, which beyond their vineyards provide the historical and cultural context in which life in the region unfolds. It is a rich landscape in terms of its architectural heritage, which one might also wish to admire upon visiting the area.
Amongst hilltops, haciendas and vineyards the highlight are its grand 18th Century country manors, with their majestic facades and imposing frontage that reflect the prominence of the families that lived in them. The Douro, a truly glorious wine region of indescribable beauty.

Ao continuar a usar este website, está a concordar com o uso de cookies. mais informação

As configurações de cookies neste site estão definidas para "permitir cookies" para lhe proporcionar a melhor experiência de navegação possível. Se você continuar a usar este site sem alterar suas configurações de cookie ou clicar em "Aceitar" abaixo, você concorda com isso.

Fechar